Thursday, December 2, 2010

Illness at the Emergency Room Wednesday night! (Narrative only)

Although I realize this doesn't exactly fulfill the requirement to HW19 (which I will absolutely post separately in the near future) I thought this was worth writing about. This post is completely narrative. I will give my insights on the entire situation after they can properly sink in in another, separate post. If this post seems overly long, I apologize, but please understand that documenting specific details will help me write my impressions, observations, feelings and insights when the time comes.

At about 5:00 am on Wednesday morning my stomach was upsetting me. Now I will spare you the less attractive details, but it certainly was not pretty. However, I decided that something as intermittent as stomach aches were not worth missing school for, so I decided to go anyway. I had a fairly good and active day, my stomach aches subsided and a satisfying lunch.

Then it hit me.

Halfway through teaching my after school class I felt a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower right quadrant. I decided that it was probably best that I leave and get some rest (I did have a long day at internship ahead of me). When I got home I tried to lay down on my couch, but could not bring myself to peace. The pain was too much, and at about 6:00 I began considering if this wasn't simply part of my condition, but an entirely different monster. This felt like no ordinary stomach ache, so I asked my mom to look up the symptoms for appendicitis. Low and behold I had all of the symptoms and I made my mom call my pediatrician, a man who I trust very highly as a diagnostician. He thought it was wise that I head to the emergency room, and because I was already considering that myself I obeyed.

The minute I got into the car I vomited buckets worth of food onto the car floor. Personally I find throwing up to be my least favorite sensation of the body. I always feel like I am choking and cannot breath while puking my guts out at the same time. When I arrived at Mt. Sinai Hospital, there were many people waiting to be seen. However, it seemed that I was lucky, because I was called in not very long after I checked in. THEN came the true waiting. I sat in a chilly room on a plastic chair feeling the worst pain I had ever felt in my life, desperately looking around for a sign that I might soon me relieved and taken into a room. Eventually I WAS called into a room for examining where a lovely nurse pressed around my abdominal area. As soon as she finished doing so however, I heaved up more vomit, a seemingly impossible amount at that, and with the addition of the pain and hunger I now had I was simply defeated. They stuck me with an unusually long IV needle, which because I am usually comfortable with needles was not a challenge. They decided that a CT scan was necessary, and perhaps a serious operation to follow that up. After getting tired of waiting for the next step, a decided to try and take a nap again.

When I woke up the world had changed. I was suddenly warm, my thirst was satisfied and there was no stomach pain to speak of. I had not been operated on or even so much as touched since an hour before, and the pain that once put me in serious, unmatched fear was history. My brother called, oblivious to the entire situation and was very worried about my situation. A few friends of mine had also been checking up on me, and I thank them for that. My brother was nice enough to inform the world on his Facebook page, and for once I overlooked my worn out political statement to see what people were saying. At around 1:00am I was given about 1000mL of contrast to drink for my CT scan, which despite everyone's warnings I didn't find to be too disgusting. After another seemingly interminable amount of time I was wheel-chaired to the scan room, where a giant spinning laser tunnel took pictures of my intestinal track.

I didn't get the results of my scan until long after I was moved into my new room on another floor. There many nurses asked me strange questions and I didn't get to actual sleep until around 5:30am. Every so-often I would doze off but nearly every half hour a new nurse came around to ask me the same questions and check my vitals. Finally, the next morning I was met by my pediatrician (whom I had consulted earlier) and my GI doctor. It turned out that the results were surprisingly good, and not only did I NOT have appendicitis, but I didn't have a major blockage either. Because of this, I was finally allowed to eat again knowing that I would not be having an operation. The tray of food they gave me consisted of mystery meat (it somewhat resembled chicken), seasoned potatoes, diced pear, bread and butter and tea. At around 3:00pm I was finally dismissed from the hospital.

As soon as this all sinks in enough to thoroughly analyze it (and after a good amount of rest), I will post another entry strictly focusing on my impressions, observations, feelings, insights, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment