Saturday, December 4, 2010

Illness at the Emergency Room Wednesday Night! (Insights)

The very first impressions that came to my mind entering and waiting in the Emergency Room (other than "OW THIS HURTS LIKE HELL WHERE'S MY ROOM") were that the hospital (not just the room closest to outside but the actual room I stayed in) were freezing. I didn't have a fever at the time, and although I understand there are machines that need to be in a certain climate to function I could not understand for the life of me why they could not turn up the thermostat.

I also have to wonder why my wait time was so short compared to other sick looking people who had obviously been waiting longer than me. Of course I did not waste a second considering this at the time, but I know I would NOT be happy if I was just sitting there watching people get called in after arriving 5 minutes ago.

I found it interesting that rather than assign me one nurse or doctor, there was a constant flux of different nurses and attendants that I did not know waking me up every half-hour. I also found it weird that no matter how many times I repeated myself, they continued to ask the same questions over and over again. Maybe my view is exaggerated because by 5:00am I just wanted some sleep, but it left me wondering why they couldn't assign me just one nurse who already knew the answers to their questions in addition to where my pain was. Other than this little annoyance I really had no issues with the staff, all who were very friendly and mentally and emotionally dedicated to my well-being.

With regards to the seemingly "magical" nap that I took, I still do not understand what it was that cured me almost instantly. I suppose it has something to do with lifting the mental and physical stress that was on my body before I simply called it quits and laid down. This also leads me to question whether or not the doctors had the greatest intuition- everyone, with great confidence thought that I had appendicitis, and in the end I didn't have that or even an intestinal blockage- just a bad virus. Of course I couldn't really blame them, I WAS showing all of the symptoms, and I myself was convinced I had it.

This WAS my first time ever in a hospital for serious illness, and I have to say the experience was bitter, sweet, and then bitter again. Of course the beginning was bitter because it felt like I had been impaled by a flagpole. After my nap however, I have to admit being "ill" and having people catering to my every whim was actually somewhat enjoyable. This somewhat contradicts what I said in HW17 about no aspect of illness being enjoyable, and in retrospect I was probably angry given the subject matter. If I said being able to watch TV, play games on my iPod and surf the web while I waited for people to give me pillows and blankets while complimenting me about my mood was not enjoyable in any aspect, I would probably dunk my head in the urinal they supplied me. This was swell for a while until the next morning, where I simply had enough. I felt fine, the CT scan confirmed my lack of a serious problem and I was itching to leave. I waited a seemingly endless amount of time for some paperwork to work its way to us so I could leave, and as I sat in my own sweaty pajamas with a huge IV in my arm I found myself listening for hopeful footsteps to approach my room. They wouldn't show up until hours later of course! What if there was another sick kid, who really NEEDED the room who didn't have one while I sat in here like a king?

The actual CT scan was to my surprise quite intriguing. I'll spare you, the lucky reader the less attractive details but it certainly helped one of my problems (if you can guess what that is, if not, I'll leave it at that!). Being immersed in the giant machine was kind of freaky, it felt like I was in some sort of sci-fi film and the laser was scanning alien bacteria in my stomach. The actual effect of the laser ring was a surprise to me. My entire body became really hot and I felt like I couldn't breath (not like I was anxious, but I actually felt like there was a restriction on my lung intake. Overall this was actually fun, and a huge relief afterwards (again, I will stay ambiguous here).

Finally I HAVE to say something about "lunch". It's not like I expected a filet mignon but mystery meat? With a thick coat of barbegoop on it? Uhhhh. Thanks? On the side were some seasoned potato wedges, which were not bad, and cooked carrots. I found it kind of strange that one slice of bread could come in its own package, and that they gave it to me plain and not toasted. Perhaps they were thinking I had some sort of dietary restrictions? In the end, a nice hot cup of tea kept me busy as I waited in the final moments.

Overall, my stay was an interesting experience and I am CERTAIN it will give me a fresh perspective on illness as we go into this unit. Would I do it again? Not necessarily, because in order for it to happen I would have to vomit a waterfall all over again! And besides, I was extremely lucky that I did not require an operation, which would've proved to be an entirely different, not so fortunate experience.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you would have reflected upon how this compares to the dominant social practice, why was your trip so anti-body? Does this show you that hospitals DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE PATIENT THEY CARE ABOUT THE $. I feel you on there not being one nurse/doctor, my uncles first MONTH in the hospital was the same !! It is ironic though how knowing that hostpitals are about the money, we still go. It is the ultimate money making trap, who dosent want to save there life if possible? I have to agree with you, I am sick @ home and it sucks!! but i do love the attention from my parents. I think this post and the one before it were great but need more reflection on how this connects to the bigger theme of our class ! The last one I get you just got home, I am even suprised you were able to bang out that much !!! But i was expecting more from this 1 !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,

    I'm fine with you reporting insights from your direct experience - but do keep Eloise's hope for connections to DSP in mind for when those connections appear. (Incidentally, I think your depiction of the medical folks as caring was perceptive. I suspect that the waking & questions weren't what they appeared (of course they have charts). Probably a number of them were checks on your condition, your lucidity, etc.

    The flagpole and waterfall images were enlivening - especially the flagpole one (waterfall suggested a continuousness that doesn't fit).

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete