Tuesday, December 14, 2010

HW 21B Comments and more

Comment on Casey's HW21:

Casey,

It feels awfully weird commenting on this post, but I am very happy and touched by what you wrote. I felt you especially got who my father was, and I honestly would have thought you had known him prior to his illness by this sentence:

"Those who knew him remember him as an artist, a father, a neighborhood guardian, an involved community member, tenacious, stoic, a “fighter”. Although he was involved in various familial conflicts and was sometimes far from a peace-maker, the positive parts of his memory are particularly preserved."

Your last paragraph in its entirety spoke many truths to me, sometimes in ways I never even thought about myself (how pain represents the courage to feel). I wish I could write such a faithful and earnest tribute for you, but again part of me is glad you are not in my position. I sincerely appreciate your kind words, and as always I look forward to future posts,

Comment on Eloise's HW19:
Eloise,

"I think this exemplifies the INSANITY and abnormality of our society that the healing of the mind and human body IS predominantly INDUSTRIAL? "

You speak the truth! I think you hit the nail right on the head here and did a great job articulating your insights. However, like Casey, I too wonder what you mean by "TIME ENDS". Do you mean our sense of time, or time itself stops? I also agree with you that society (at least ours) is GROSSLY obsessed with eternal youth, which is a subject that hasn't really been touched on yet.

Spell check on Microsoft Word would not hurt, but again this is a minor suggestion.

Comment left on my HW 19 by Aaron:
I found the line where your mom was talking about the effect it had on her relationship with your father, "She said that IF there was any way that his illness and dying had any positive aspect (not really appropriate word choice but I honestly can't think of anything better to replace "positive", excuse me), it was in the effect it had on their marriage" to be very touching. It makes one think you never know what you have until it's too late. To know that your mother and father made a positive experience out of something so horribly dreadful gives me a better understanding of making the best of a bad situation. I can't even imagine what this whole process was like for you all. Sorry if this comment is not appropriate enough, but this very hard for me to write about. Thank you for allowing me to read this and I think you did a great job explaining your family experiences to illness and dying.

Comment left on my HW 21/Reflection by Mom:
I was quite struck by two things you said. First, I hadn't thought about your peers scrutinizing you for reactions to what I was saying. I suppose I thought about what they might be thinking when YOU spoke, but it never occurred to me that they would be looking at you for reactions as I spoke. I also never think of you as being particularly concerned with what others think of you because you always seems so sure of yourself, so it was interesting to me to hear you voice this. It made you a little more vulnerable in my eyes, not a bad thing. Secondly (and I suppose this is related), I never realized that you felt misunderstood by your peers (or cared). As close as we are, I guess we still have a lot we can learn about one another. In general, I wish to say that your postings have been very brave, and that I admire you and love you very much.

Mom

Comment on my Reflection by Casey:
Evan,
I did sometimes wonder what you were thinking in your mother's presentation, and why you sometimes smiled a bit. I think everyone does have an inherent desire to be heard...sometimes silence can be like shell, a burden. Perhaps you could have elaborated on the "deepest, most painful realms of my thoughts", because it would help the reader to understand your story further. I admire the way you continue to handle this episode with such grace.

Comment on my Reflection by Eloise:
I AM SO UPSET I MISSED THIS !!! HONESTLY THIS IS THE ONLY CLASS I WISH I COULD GOT TO SCHOOL FOR !!! GRRRRRR !!! you stated "search the deepest, most painful realms of my thoughts" I have been doing this alone recentley and I feel it has been helping me but it is hard, what were some of the questions asked?

Comment on my ER Reflection by Eloise:
I wish you would have reflected upon how this compares to the dominant social practice, why was your trip so anti-body? Does this show you that hospitals DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE PATIENT THEY CARE ABOUT THE $. I feel you on there not being one nurse/doctor, my uncles first MONTH in the hospital was the same !! It is ironic though how knowing that hostpitals are about the money, we still go. It is the ultimate money making trap, who dosent want to save there life if possible? I have to agree with you, I am sick @ home and it sucks!! but i do love the attention from my parents. I think this post and the one before it were great but need more reflection on how this connects to the bigger theme of our class ! The last one I get you just got home, I am even suprised you were able to bang out that much !!! But i was expecting more from this 1 !

No comments:

Post a Comment