Thursday, September 30, 2010

HW 6- Food Diary

FOOD DIARY:

Wednesday Lunch: Ham Sandwich (incomplete in picture)
Note: This is also Thursday's lunch (the same exact sandwich), I just forgot to take a picture.
This is my usual lunch every day that I have school. I usually use rye bread or whole wheat with ham or turkey depending on which I currently have. I do not know where the buns come from because my aunt gave them to me, so I do not know how many calories there are in the buns. However, the ham packaging claims to have 15 calories per slice, and I use four slices most of the time. 60-100 calories??? Why exactly do I keep eating the same sandwich almost EVERY day? It's pretty consistent and is easy on my stomach. It doesn't take very long to consume and I am a big fan of cold cuts.

Wednesday snack: Three Marshmallows. The sugar on the outside really make my teeth feel gross. But marshmallows are oh so good! When they are toasted they are especially delicious, but for the most part I eat these plain. This is probably because I am not very comfortable with fire in my house and mostly because I am too lazy. But putting them in the microwave is fine with me!

Wednesday Dinner: Pasta with Meat sauce! The sauce is from canned tomatoes and it is flavored with sweet and hot sausage. The sauce is not exactly chunky, but it still has a thickness to it. However, it bothers my stomach. Why? I am not entirely sure. Perhaps it is the spicyness of the hot sausage or the tomatoes. Even though I almost always suffer a stomach ache from a bowl of this, it is very delicious. Because my mom makes it! And she is the best cook in the whole wide world! Or maybe it's just that I am accustomed to her cooking- I HAVE grown up with it all my life! I estimate this bowl to be around 1200 calories based on looking at the labels for each component.

Thursday Breakfast: Cocoa Crispies! Clearly the most healthy cereal around, it has vitamin D! In all seriousness though, it is uncommon for me to have a sugar cereal in the house- in fact on most mornings I eat a bowl of oatmeal. Why did I go for this specific cereal? I suppose because I am a fan of rice crispies, I also like chocolate and chocolate milk. I figure cocoa crispies is what you get when adding the three. I realize that the three main ingredients here are sugar, sugar and sugar, but as it turns out (through careful research) my mom's Post Raisin Bran actually has more calories per serving than this. Go mom! I usually eat a big bowl, so I will guess that my breakfast was about 300 calories given that I use much more than the serving size and I also use whole milk. As always, my stomach is uneasy after consumption, but I question it's significance as that is the result of any meal.

Thursday Lunch: Pizza. I enjoy pizza a little less than everyone else in society, but I eat it nonetheless. In addition to the much eaten sandwich in the picture above, my internship actually brought in a pizza. I had a single slice, and because I have absolutely no clue as to where this pizza came from, there is no way to know for sure how many calories I consumed. One site says that the average pizza slice has 230 calories (http://www.dietbites.com/Calories-In-Pizza.html) , so I will go with that. Same effect on the stomach.

Thursday Lunch Snack: Chips Ahoy cookies. Chips Ahoy does a fine cookie, and I guess the only reason it is such a popular and commercial name is because it IS delicious.

Thursday Snack: Fritos. Fritos are VERY salty. And I am not sure why (I do not have any known food allergies) but every time I eat these my bottom lip gets a little puffy.

Thursday Dinner: Pasta with Meat Sauce. Same dinner. Same stomach reaction. Same deliciousness.

Overall I imagine my normal calorie intake for one day to be slightly over 2,500 calories. This is because on most nights I have a big bowl of ice cream. I am not sure if this is a good thing because it is pretty darn close to what a website told me to eat to maintain what little weight I actually have.

Nutritionally, I think I cover most fronts (Dairy, red meat, etc.) but I realize that what I really lack in is fruits. Normally there are a lot of apples and bananas at home, but recently the produce at the supermarket (Fairway) has been below average and somewhat disappointing. Although I am very wiry in my build, I eat well. It's just that my condition holds me back. If my body were absorbing the nutrition as it should like anybody else- perhaps I would be 'bigger' and more nutritionally successful. However, I realize my disposition and know that I have to do better in order for me to hopefully survive in the Bahamas for 100 days, a sustainable living environment.

I find it curious as to why it seems like my mom's cooking is better than anybody else's. No offense to anybody else's mothers of course, but I wonder why we find the food we grow up with to be the best. For example, if my grandma were to whip up some of her holy matzoh ball soup, and I went to a highly praised deli (the 2nd Avenue Deli to be exact), why is it that I just find my grandma's to be endlessly better? This is actually a true story, and to be honest, I really didn't understand what all the hype was about. It was truly nothing special. Is this why I enjoy my own sandwiches so much for lunch? Is it because I am so confident in myself that nothing I personally made could possibly be bad? Do other people find my mother's cooking to be as fantastic as I think? These are interesting questions to me.

My decisions of what to eat over the 48 hours (or most of them, because I didn't decide my mom was cooking meat sauce) didn't really involve deep thinking or consciousness. I just went for what my mind naturally told me I would enjoy and went on ahead. I realize that for most people (especially those with bigger wallets) this can be very bad and promote buying unhealthy drinks and snacks, but almost all of my meals are confined within what we have in the house. Sure, I go help decide what to get when we go food shopping, but usually there I am more concerned about hurrying up and getting home so I can sit my lazy bum down. THEN sometimes I will regret not convincing mom to buy something I really would've enjoyed. I guess it is just my mind telling me to be more active???

No comments:

Post a Comment