Tuesday, September 21, 2010

HW 2 - Food - Initial Thoughts

Some say they eat to live, but others will claim that they live to eat. Food is a necessary component to society and survival, so why not enjoy it? I think food and all of its aspects are extremely important to consider. To me, it is all about how easy it is to make, how much (or little) does costs, and most importantly, how it tastes. Because of a condition that I have, my feeling after a meal is almost always a momentary stomach ache, so the feeling afterward is not as important to me. Unless it is very good, food is almost a necessary evil to me!

One of the first things I consider a priority for food (even if it makes me look like a lazy bum) is how easy or simple it is to prepare. In my house, whoever cooks a meal outside of dinner is responsible for cleaning all pots and dishes involved. I would much rather toss something on a plate and in the microwave (even though it is probably doing long term damage) or prepare Kraft Macaroni and Cheese than make the same thing from scratch myself. This is probably due to the fact that I make frozen meals when I come home from school simply because I am tired. My next move is usually the decision between ham and cheese, chicken melt with bacon or three cheese Hot Pockets. Yum?

The next thing I consider a priority for a meal is the actual COST of it. Because I come from a low income family, it is crucial that what we eat is affordable. Sure, with enough money we could constantly eat out or buy higher quality food products but life can be that way. We will always purchase the least offending food we can find (save the Hot Pockets) within our budget. Besides, I cannot afford to go buy my own lunch every day! We might as well get robbed!

The most important thing, however, is how something tastes. If it is to my liking, and within financial reasoning, it is likely to be a favorite. This rule comes before all others. No matter how cheap or easy it is to make (which are probably bad signs in the first place), if it tastes like crap, I won't be so quick to return. Sometimes things are cheap for a reason (they stink!)! Aside from store-bought foods, I must confess that nobody, not even the finest chefs in all of Vegas, have ANYTHING on my Grandma's Matzoh Ball Soup (yes, it is so good it deserves to be capitalized). Not only do I consider it sacred (not in a religious way, in more of an obsessive way), but I would rather have that than anything else in the world. Unless it is over 100 degrees outside. Then I would like a snowcone.

To sum up my 'ideal meal', here is a reenactment:

*Evan is watching tennis while on an extremely comfortable seat*

Grandma: Hey Evan! You are the best! How about some Matzoh Ball Soup?

Evan: Oh boy! I can tell this is going to be the greatest meal of my life!

Grandma: Hey Evan! I made an entire pot for you. Let me serve it to you while you stay seated in that very comfortable seat!

Evan: Okay!

*Evan eats the soup, and his teeth fall out as a result of the biggest smile ever*

The end.

That is sacred. That is the perfect meal. That, is me living to eat!

1 comment:

  1. Evan,

    Liked the re-enactment and the clarity of your writing (and thinking).

    ReplyDelete